Sunday, August 10, 2008

Was Life More Simple Back Then?

My WM roomate introduced me to Avenue Q, a musical for adults that features Sesame Street style puppets. One song from the show is entitled "I Wish I Could Go Back to College."

In college you know who you are.

You sit in the quad, and think, "Oh my God!
I am totally gonna go far!".

That kind of undergrad nostalgia hasn't happened to me yet, even though I live near two large universities. We've driven past them on our endless site visits, but I want to take time and explore SLU and Wash U on foot. Wash U's striking brick-and-stone edifices beckon me from the Forest Park parkway. What kind of architectural delights wait inside?

An article in the Post-Dispatch today hinted at what I could see - a brand spanking new student center. The Danforth University Center (DUC) follows many trends I observed as a University Centers employee at WM. Video games, centralized space for student activities, and study areas combine with newer ideas like LEED certification and actual street addresses.

Still, Wash U exhibits the qualtiy of life differences between public and private institutions. Osso buco in a bistro? Herb gardens around campus? A possible tandoor oven? Those of us with state funding could on ly dream.

My housemates and I have toyed with the idea of venturing onto the campus incognito, pretending we belong in this mysterious oasis of gourmet food and boys our age. I, of course, over-analyzed and wondered what we would do if asked about our course schedules. (We could create some elaborate alibi, but that sounds like the plot of a Fresh Prince episode.)

Avenue Q provides a more realistic picture of what would happen.
But if I were to go back to college,
Think what a loser I'd be-
I'd walk through the quad,
And think "Oh my God..."

"These kids are so much younger than me."

No comments: