Monday, May 4, 2009

Craigslist and material culture

I just finished a much-needed long phone conversation with my Mom, in which we discussed my immunization records, Latin Mass, and what dresses I should wear for my sister's graduation weekend, among other things.

St. Joseph was another topic of conversation. Mom often entrusts our family's needs to him, including the funds she keeps under his statue in the living room. (It really is handy when you are looking for gas money or your birthday check from Grandma.) Anyway, Friday was the feast of St. Joseph the worker, and he brought our family two blessings that day. My sister got enough financial aid to go to college, and some money turned up to buy a larger dresser for Brothers #2 and #3.

The dresser came from Craigslist through the daughter of its deceased former owner. As my brothers filled it with tshirts and socks, they discovered the artifacts of this woman's life - mostly prayer cards. One, "Prayer for those living alone," clued them in that she was a widow. They know her name from her BJ's Club shopping card. The dresser even smells like her because sachets and baby powder line the drawers.
Just another reminder of how the stuff we leave behind gives clues about the lives we lived.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah, thanks for dropping by and commenting on my blog! Jesus had to have a 6 pack, at least after he was resurrected, if not beforehand.

Glad to make your acquaintaince, and am enjoying your blog. Keep up the good work. God bless and happy blogging!