Ironically, I almost watched the inauguration of the Gen X, internet utilizing president on old-school technology. Judie in Development brought in an old portable TV set from home so it could enjoy a last hurrah before the DTV transition makes it useless. Online streaming wasn't behaving, so for a while it looked like the entire office would be huddled around her cubicle.
Eventually we did make it to the flat-screen in the conference room, where I made the following random observations. Most of them are about wardrobe, which is always tricky in January's weather. (Remember Hillary's controversial hat in 1993?)
- Michelle Obama's fashion sense did not disappoint. Love love love the embellished yellow outfit. It was flattering and unique.
- Aretha Franklin's hat was out of control, and I gotta respect her for that. Singing at an inauguration is once in a lifetime, so you might as well go full-on diva.
- Awww the Bushes Sr wore matching purple scarves. Clinton was in a cheery yellow. The Carters apparently missed the scarf memo, nor did they feel like hugging Bill and Hillary.
- Awww the Obama girls are ADORABLE. I'm already cringing for their awkward teen indiscretions.
- H W Bush's fur hat is also amazing. I would wear one if I were an ex-president.
- Aren't Yo Yo Ma's fingers cold?
- Can we remember the words to the oath of office? No? Ok then. I'm not sure if Obama or Roberts is to blame here.
- We are always "remaking America"? Hmmmm.
- Please don't make "wrong side of history" a catch phrase. Please.
- Yes, let's make choices for love and inclusion. Can that involve unborn children too?
- Not gonna lie, I got goosebumps at the end of the speech.
- The DC skyline makes me so homesick I can't stand it.
- The benediction minister seems like a real character. "When the red man/ can get ahead, man"